Resolve Crawl Errors in your Blog’s Home and Post Pages


Best Movies Sites: TOP 10 MOVIE WEBSITES


Fix the Duplicate Meta Description Error
Now a days blogger shows two Meta Description for its home page as well as post page. And when I log in my Google Webmaster tool, shows crawling error for both my blogs home and post pages. So I just back to my blog LabStrike, and viewed the source code (using Ctrl+U) and found two meta description for the same page. But now just fixed it and my special regards goes to Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai, author of MyBloggerTricks.com.

According to Mohammad, when I view my blogs source code I found two meta description just below my blogs <head> tag as well as above <title> tag. He says the duplicate meta description seems after the introduction of Search Preference from blogger that allows blogger users to write dynamic meta description for each post in “Search Description” box under Post settings.

question mark iconHow to Fix the Duplicate Meta Description Error
So, here Mohammad Mustafa provides a simple trick to fix the duplicate Meta description error of your blog. As a result, slightly follow the steps given below to fix the crawling error!

  • Go to Blogger Dashboard » Template
  • Backup your blogger Template before making any changes.
  • Click on Edit HTML
  • Check Expand Widget Templates
  • Press Ctrl + F and search the code shown below 

<b:if cond='data:blog.metaDescription != &quot;&quot;'> 
  <meta expr:content='data:blog.metaDescription' name='description'/> 
</b:if>

Guys, still doubt to find the above 3 lines of codes? If yes, do follow the image granted below for better understanding. Remember, youre not able to find the code unless added before to your blogger template.

How to Fix the Duplicate Meta Description Error

Please note: If youre not able to find the above code in your blogger template, thank God, just skip the step and copy & paste the following code just below / after <head> tag.

OR

If you find the code provided above just replace the searched code with the code given below.

<b:if cond='data:blog.url != data:blog.homepageUrl'> 
<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType != &quot;item&quot;'> 
<b:if cond='data:blog.metaDescription != &quot;&quot;'> 
 <meta expr:content='data:blog.metaDescription' name='description'/> 
</b:if> 
</b:if> 
</b:if>

Important: Line no: 1 & 7 disable duplicate Meta description happenings on your blogs home page and line no: 2 & 6 disable duplicate Meta description happenings on the post pages on your blog.

Now click Save template button and youre completely done! According to Mohammad Mustafa, when I checked my source code of my home page / any post page (using Ctrl+U) I could find only one Meta description for both my blogs home and post pages. So what about you? Lets know via comment.

Also read: How Can you Optimize your Blog’s Archive for Better SEO Impact

Credit: As I mentioned in the beginning of this article, my special thanks goes to Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai, a young Entrepreneur, over and above the author of MyBloggerTricks.com.