The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 is a compact but powerful scanner targeted at business and professional environments. It is a useful and cost-effective solution for business professionals who need an easy way to convert documents and other hard copy data into an electronic form. The power of the ScanSnap S1500 is that you can use it to scan your paperwork into any array of formats and even convert them directly into editable documents.
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 – Useful At Home As Well
The ScanSnap S1500 can also be useful in a home setting for people who want to back up paper items such as financial statements, receipts, and bills. The S1500′s scan to pdf function makes this a breeze. Scanning these types of documents allows users to shred paper copies, save space, and make it easier to find older documents. Rather than searching through boxes of potentially poorly filed bills and documents the digitized versions can easily be found on a computer.
From a security perspective, the ScanSnap S1500 can also be used to scan and keep digital and easily accessible copies of important documents while storing the originals at another location for safekeeping.
ScanSnap S1500 Specifications:
The S1500/S1500M is a compact machine, measuring just 11.5″ x 6.3″ x 6.2.” Notable features include:
- 600 x 600 dpi scanning resolution.
- Speed: 20 pages per minute (ppm).
- Convert documents into editable formats including .PDF, .XLS, .DOC, and .JPG.
- Supports monochrome and color scanning as well as duplex scanning.
- You can submit documents in multiple sizes including letter, legal, and custom, and can even scan business cards.
- USB ports make it easy to hook up to most computers.
- The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Unfortunately there are no TWAIN or WIA drivers, which limits some of the software compatibility. This can be an issue for some business professionals who need to use proprietary software, so this scanner isn’t going to work for you if your software is incompatible.
- There is a separate version of the ScanSnap available for Macintosh users called the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M.
- The S1500 & S1500M come with a 1-year limited warranty on parts and labor.
Scan to PDF
How does PDF conversion work with the ScanSnap? The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 comes bundled with Adobe Acrobat, ABBYY FineReader, and CardMinder software as well as a Quick Menu to help you convert your scanned document to the format you need quickly, with the click of a mouse. You can convert not only to .JPG or .PDF, but also to .XLS or .DOC for Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word documents.
The CardMinder software allows you to export scanned business cards to Outlook and other email programs. There is also a green scan button on the machine which will automatically convert the data being scanned scanning into searchable PDF files. It is possible to feed as many as 50 sheets through the scanner automatically in a single scanning project. The machine can also be set for duplex scanning if it is necessary to scan both sides of the documents.
Another useful feature of the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 is that it detects paper jams and double feeds and lets you either start over completely with your scan or continue from where you left off. Online reviewers of the ScanSnap S1500 say that they found it easier to clear of paper jams than many other scanners. The compact size means it can fit even on small or cluttered desks, and it doesn’t need a lot of maintenance. The only real drawback of the S1500/S1500M is the lack of TWAIN and WIA drivers. However most people will not require these drivers when scanning to PDF or other common file formats.
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 – A Winner
The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 scanner does what says and does it well. The fast scanning and quick PDF conversion make it a great value for professional and home users who don’t need to use proprietary software. There is also an online ScanSnap community at http://scansnapcommunity.com/ where users can getting additional info on getting the most out of their S1500 as well as the most recent product news and information.